About Discover Primary Science and Maths
The Discover Primary Science and Maths Programme (DPSM) is part of Science Foundation Ireland’s Education and Public Engagement Programme, which aims to increase interest in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) among students, teachers and members of the public.
DPSM originated in 2003 with the goal of introducing primary school students to science in a practical, hands-on, enjoyable and interactive way. Since 2010 the programme has been run in conjunction with the European Space Education Resource Office (ESERO) Ireland which uses space to inspire and engage young people in science and technology in the world around them. Year after year teachers tell us that the DPSM award is a great way of involving everyone in science in the school.
The programme offers:
- CPD Workshops and Summer Courses for teachers
- A Framework for Inquiry Based Science Education and a Classroom Activity Teacher Planning Guide
- Classroom activities, resources and quarterly e-newsletters
- Science Foundation Ireland Discover Science and Maths Awards.
- A network of Discover Centres offering primary science and maths workshops and outreach programmes including, the Zoo, national parks, interpretive centres and marine education centres.
- DPSM introductory sessions with pre-service teachers in collaboration with the Colleges of Education