SFI Research Centre in Applied Geosciences (iCRAG)
iCRAG is the SFI Research Centre for Applied Geosciences. We are a team of researchers creating solutions for a sustainable society.
We develop innovative science and technologies to better understand the Earth’s past, present, and future and how people are connected to it.
We drive research in areas that are critical to society and the economy, including:
- Sustainable discovery of energy resources and raw materials required for decarbonisation.
- Securing and protecting groundwater and marine resources.
- Protecting society from Earth’s hazards such as flooding and landslides.
iCRAG, the world leading SFI Research Centre in applied geosciences hosted by UCD, comprises 150 researchers across eight universities and institutions. iCRAG is supported by Science Foundation Ireland, the European Regional Development Fund, Geological Survey Ireland and industry partners.
- Raw materials – mineral/aggregate geoscience
- Marine – marine geoscience
- Groundwater – hydrogeology/hydrology
- Energy security – petroleum geoscience
- Geohazards – tunnelling and material stability
- Geochemistry, geophysics, 3D geological modelling, and public perception and understanding
- Social science – earth science in society
Comprising 150 researchers, eight research institutions and collaborating with more than sixty industry partners, our vision is to be a world leader in applied geoscience research, discovery, and public understanding of Earth’s critical resources and environment for a sustainable society.
- University College Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
- University of Galway
- University College Cork
- Maynooth University
- Dublin Institute of Advanced Studies
- Dublin City University
Industry and Commercialisation
The technology developed by iCRAG takes the form of soft-knowledge, data, methods, protocols, policy documents and software. This technology helps companies discover and develop natural resources for the mutual benefit of the companies and Ireland.
Industry Partners include
- Apex Geoservices
- David Ball & Associates
- Erris Resources
- Fehily Timoney & Company
- Geological Survey Ireland
- Geoscience Ireland
- Group Eleven Mining & Exploration Ltd
- Hannan Metals
- A comprehensive suite of analytical and modelling resources
- Platform facilities in geophysics, geochemistry and 3D modelling
Education and Public Engagement
Modern societies and economies are underpinned by applied geosciences. The provision of secure sources of energy, clean water and raw materials, all of which are crucial for economic and societal functioning, are directly reliant on applied geosciences. iCRAG is dedicated to dedicated to developing the next generation of geologists, engineers and scientists through our education and public engagement programme. The programme works alongside the public perception and understanding of geoscience research platform in iCRAG, with each informing the other.
The objectives of iCRAG’s education and public engagement programme are:
- Empower the Irish publics to make informed decisions about the Earth’s resources and changing climate.
- Enhance public understanding of Earth’s resources and earth system change.
- Engage the publics such that our research is influenced by, and shared with, the publics for mutual learning.
This is carried out through four EPE programmes: Earth Science Education, Geocareers, Citizen Involvement and Earth Science in the Arts
Key Contact Details
Prof Murray Hitzman
Dr Jennifer Craig
Dr Fergus Mc Auliffe
Dr Aoife Brady
Industry and Programme Manager